How it works:
- Situation: corruption is a deep seated issue in the country and informal practices such as bribery and the use of connections are de facto social norms.
- Set-up: as a tourist, the most likely situation where you come into contact officers is if you were to drive. You can be stopped and accused of a traffic violation which you did not commit. A fine (i.e. bribe) is then demanded.
What to do:
- Follow all laws: e.g. wear helmet, keep to speed limit, have a driving license.
- Tactics (make yourself difficult): buy time by pretending not to understand the local language, be creative and talk nonsense back, ask for a receipt, to pay at a police station, etc.
- Negotiate: if those fail, negotiate the bribe.