How it works:
- Version 1: at Petra, guide wastes your time at the Visitor’s Centre instead of bringing you around.
- Version 2: getting you to buy overpriced juice or take donkey rides instead of guiding you.
- Version 3: stick around even if you decline, point at things and then demand a tip.
- Version 4: spend bulk of the tour sharing a sob story then asking for a “tour guide” fee.
Places to beware:
- Jerash: Jerash Ruins
- Wadi Rum
What to do:
- Grab a map and be on your way as the sites are clearly marked. Else, engage a licensed, reputable tour operator:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) also has many popular tours (e.g. Petra full day tour, jeep tour to Wadi Rum, Red Sea and Dead Sea tour, etc).