How it works:
- Situation: according to UNESCO, 7 of 15 active Wadi Rum “camps” are unlicensed.
- Opening: these camps have fake positive reviews online put up by local scammers with the help of their foreigner girlfriends who are good in English.
- Set-up: they will tempt you with low priced Wadi Rum tours, then bring you to an area outside (e.g. King’s Highway to Diseh) as they are not allowed inside. Many don’t even realize it.
Places to beware:
- Wadi Rum
What to do:
- Before committing, ask to see a scanned copy of their license. Else, get a legitimate operator:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) also has some such tours.