How it works:
- This is the most infamous scam in Jordan and has been around for more than a decade.
- The authorities are aware, but such cases are difficult to prosecute. This is due to a lack of evidence and tourists not staying in Jordan to see the process through.
- Part 1 (in Jordan):
- Local Bedouin men will target solo female travelers with exotic tales, flattery, unbridled attention and companionship with his family, friends and him.
- They invite you to their place – candlelit caves under star-studded desert skies, which you imagine to be like a fairy tale like setting.
- Some females/couples have being drugged with the female then sexually assaulted.
- Part 2 (in home country):
- Once you return to your country, he will ask for money. It could be to set up a business, help him in tough times or support his election campaign!
Places to beware:
- Petra: Wadi Musa
- Wadi Rum: Bedouin villages
What to do:
- If you are approached by men who are extremely flirtatious, you should be very skeptical.
- If you are asked to send money, this is probably a scam.