How it works:
- Most food places are fine, it’s generally just a few bad eggs around touristy areas that spoil it for the rest.
- Step 1: a tout ushers you into a restaurant off the street. He asks if you speak Japanese. If you don’t, you are an easier target.
- Step 2: only expensive sparkling water is provided, rather than free tap water or tea like in other restaurants. You will also be served the tourist menu where everything is overpriced.
- Step 3: food is served, but it does not match pictures in the menu in terms of quantity. It is also of poor quality and taste.
- Step 4: you receive the bill but find that prices do not match the menu. The waiter attributes this to taxes!
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Choose: reputable places (use food review apps like Gurunavi) and avoid those promoted by touts.
- Check: menu (prices, fine print), itemized bill, and do not eat what was not ordered.
- Alternative: Klook (best day tours platform in Asia) has a couple of food tours.