How it works:
- Although Japan is really safe and street crime is rare, there are still occasional cases of pickpocketing – usually perpetrated by foreign gangs.
- There have also been reports of thefts at massage parlors in Roppongi where an accomplice steals from your bag while you are unaware.
Places to beware:
- Kyoto: Nishiki Market, Okochi Sanso Garden
- Osaka: Dotonbori, Shinsaibashi, Minami (Namba), Kuromon Market
- Tokyo: Roppongi, Kabukicho, Tokyo Tower, Nakamise Shopping Street (Kaminarimon), Takeshita Street, Ameyoko
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.