How it works:
- Version 1:
- A man dressed in robes claiming to be from Bhutan tells you how he is travelling and wants you to pray with him for world peace.
- Next, he asks you to sign a small book alongside names of strangers to show your support for peace.
- He then gives you a small plastic charm and asks for donations for his cause. In the book, you will see numbers such as 30,000 yen.
- Version 2:
- A fake monk asks what your wish is so he can jot it down on his notebook.
- He then asks how much you would pay for such a wish. He will then ask for the money.
Places to beware:
- Tokyo: Senso-ji Temple, Akihabara, Shibuya, Harajuku, etc
What to do:
- Decline, real monks don’t do such things.