How it works:
- Version 1: offers to bring you to the Tomb of David and then claim that you have to pay an entry fee although it is free to enter.
- Version 2: offers to bring you around claiming to be able to secure you ‘express entry’, seemingly for free. At the end of a low quality tour, an inflated “guide” fee is demanded.
Places to beware:
- Bethlehem: Manger Square
- Jerusalem: Mount Zion
What to do:
- There may be good unofficial guides – test for a minute before committing. In general however, they are not worth it. Get a licensed, reputable guide instead:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) also has many popular tours (e.g. Jerusalem & Bethelem, Masada & the Dead Sea, etc).