How it works:
- At Jaffa Gate, you will find that the ATM at the Currency Exchange Office is not functional. The staff then proposes this solution:
- He will give you the amount you need – you just need to process that amount as a card transaction via the shop’s card machine.
- He claims to only charge a few dollars as commission. However, you will not see any amount on the machine and no receipt is issued.
- What has happened is that you have been charged a commission that can be as high as 20%.
Places to beware:
- Jerusalem: Jaffa Gate
What to do:
- Head further down Jaffa Gate to find a proper ATM.
- Also, avoid using ATMs at dark, secluded areas. Use only at controlled environments such as in banks.