How it works:
- Opening: fake sheruts will get you to load your luggage claiming that once the sherut is filled up, they will send you to your destination. It will never fill up as it is fake.
- Set-up: as you get impatient, the scammer offers to get you a taxi and to negotiate a fee. If you agree, you will be quoted an inflated price to cover the scammer’s commission. These scammers run a cartel and prevent real taxi drivers from approaching tourists.
Places to beware:
- Jerusalem: Damascus Gate to Allenby border
What to do:
- Real sheruts are in white, green and yellow colors, while fakes are in all white.
- They will also have the destination “Allenby-Jerusalem” clearly marked on them.
- Inside, the company name, driver’s name, phone number and ID are indicated on a small plaque.