How it works:
- Car break-ins (theft of valuables/luggage within and theft of car) are not common but remain a concern.
- This can be explained by the high taxes on vehicle imports, rental cars being easy to spot in public spaces and the ease of such crimes (only 10 seconds needed to break in).
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (e.g. public beach areas, national parks, and other tourist sites)
What to do:
- Park: in a paid lot with security cameras. Back into the parking lot to make opening the trunk difficult. Do not leave valuables exposed.
- Anti-theft measures: use a steering wheel lock, pedal lock, gear shift lock and leave a tracker in the car.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.