How it works:
- Version 1: at attractions, a local claiming to be a student or aspiring to be a tour guide offers to bring you around, seemingly for free only to ask for an inflated tip at the end. It can also be an unofficial guide who tries to sell you an expensive tour.
- Version 2: a shop owner offers to bring you to a spot that is free to access. He then demands a fee from you.
Places to beware:
- Isfahan: Naqshe Jahan Square (Shah Square)
- Yazd: Kushkno Watermill
- Kashan: Bazaar of Kashan
What to do:
- In general, tours by unofficial guides are low on quality. However, you can still test him for a minute before committing. Else, get a licensed, reputable operator:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?