How it works:
- Scammers posing as police officers stop you on the streets and ask to see your ID.
- Next, they demand to search you for drugs and will then accuse you of a crime which they say can be settled with an on-the-spot fine.
What to do:
- Be skeptical: if you have not broken the law.
- Three steps: verify badges and threaten to call the police hotline. Never give your passport – only show a photocopy. Insist you will only comply at a police station with a lawyer or someone from your embassy.
- Valuables: hide in a money belt/hidden pouch and use a cheap spare wallet with little cash which can be given up.