How it works:
- Version 1 (guide):
- Touts claim that you cannot enter unless you buy a (overpriced or non-existent) ticket and (expensive) tour through them.
- For instance, entry at Gitgit Waterfall only costs IDR 20,000. If you go on a “tour”, that will cost IDR 200,000-300,000.
- Version 2 (parking):
- Upon parking, locals demand you pay a parking fee to them.
Places to beware:
- Bali: Sekumpul Waterfalls (Singaraja), Gitgit Waterfall, Kanto Lampo Waterfall
- Lombok: Benang Stokal and Benang Kelambu Waterfall, Sendang Gile and Tiu Kelep Waterfall
- Probolinggo: Madakaripura Waterfall
What to do:
- Use GPS to head to the real parking spot and don’t feel pressured to stop by touts.
- Generally, an unofficial guide is unnecessary as most paths are clearly marked.