How it works:
- Version 1: these touts offer to bring you around a site, while giving you the impression that it is free. Eventually, you will be made to pay an inflated sum for a low quality tour.
- Version 2: they claim you need a guide or need to make a donation, when there is no need to.
- Version 3: at the end of the tour, the tout claims that it is “Batik” day and offers to bring you to a showcase in a famous gallery (Batik scam).
Places to beware:
- Bali: Besakih temple, Uluwatu Temple, Goa Gajah, Ulun Danu Batur Temple, Pura Jagatnatha
- Lombok: Lingsar Temple
What to do:
- There may be good unofficial guides – test for a minute before committing. In general however, they are not worth it. Get a licensed, reputable guide instead:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: Klook (best day tour platform in Asia) – also has many popular tours (e.g. Mt Batur sunrise trek, Nusa Penida, Tanah Lot, etc), or check out this page for the best tours in Indonesia.