How it works:
- Stage 1: you will be assigned a guide for ~IDR 400,000. This is only for one hour and will not be mentioned.
- Stage 2: as you scale the volcano, another 2-3 “guides” will tag along. The main guide claims that they are his kids/friends or just there to help ensure safety.
- Stage 3: at the top, these guides turn into sellers of key chains, fridge magnets and volcanic stones! They will not let you leave until you buy something at 10-20x the fair price.
- Stage 4: when you return to the bottom, an additional IDR 200,000 is demanded. This is because you have have exceeded the 1 hour tour while resisting the sellers at the crater!
Places to beware:
- Bandung: Tangkuban Perahu – Domas Crater
What to do:
- If you go, be ready to spend between ~IDR 600,000 – 1,000,000.