How it works:
- Version 1:
- You buy a ticket from a street tout who claims the ferry is from a reputable operator, when it is a less than reliable one.
- You reach the pier, only to be told by the operator that the boat is full or down. The operator’s friend appears and offers you another ticket, obviously at an inflated price.
- Version 2:
- Different prices are quoted depending on how rich they think you are.
- Version 3:
- There are also fake agents (sometimes even real) at the pier who will claim that land transfers provided by the company back to your hotel will take too long.
- Instead, they offer you an obviously overpriced private taxi.
Places to beware:
- Bali: Gili, Lombok, Nusa Lembongan, Sanur
What to do:
- Only buy direct from company/official counters or licensed retailers.