How it works:
- Version 1: aunties/ibus will offer beauty services such as manicure, pedicure, hair braiding and massage at inflated prices.
- Version 2: scheming ones offer a low price, only to inflate it at the end by claiming some misunderstanding – e.g. they claim the price quoted initially was for one nail, not all.
- Version 3: while distracted, an accomplice may steal from you.
- Version 4: overcharging – e.g. quoting 200,000 IDR for a sunbed when 40,000 IDR is enough.
- Version 5: claiming that usage of the sunbed is free if you buy an overpriced coconut. At the end however, you still have to pay an inflated fee for the sunbed.
- Version 6: selling discounted tours – probably fraudulent or low quality ones.
- Version 7: unofficial parking attendants who charge you a parking fee.
Places to beware:
- Bali: Kuta Beach, Legian Beach, Double Six Beach, Sanur Beach, Lovina Beach, Dreamland Beach
- Lombok: Gili Meno Beach, Gili Trawangan
What to do:
- Head to legitimate shops for such services instead.