How it works:
- Unofficial guides:
- Giving unsolicited advice and then asking for a fee.
- Bringing you on a low quality tour where you spend most of your time at shops.
- Temple/mosque scams.
- Some provide unsolicited advice or help to take photos and then demand a fee.
Places to beware:
- Agra: Taj Mahal, Agra Fort, Jama Masjid (Agra)
- Bengaluru: Lalbagh Botanical Garden, Bannerghatta National Park
- Chennai: Kapaleeshwarar Temple
- Hyderabad: Qutab Shahi Tombs
- Jaipur: Monkey Temple (Galta Ji), Amber Fort, Jantar Mantar, Panna Meena ka Kund, Sheesh Mahal (Hall of Mirrors)
- Jaisalmer: Jaisalmer Fort, Kothari’s Patwaon-Ki-Haveli
- Kolkata: Marble Palace Kolkata, Dakshineswar Kali Temple
- Mumbai: Crawford Market
- New Delhi: Friday Mosque (Jama Masjid), Qutub Minar, Red Fort (Lal Quila)
- Udaipur: Jagdish Temple
- Varanasi: Nepali Temple (Kathwala Temple)
What to do:
- Get a licensed, reputable guide instead:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) also has many popular tours (e.g. Taj Mahal and Agra Fort sunrise tour, Old & New Delhi city tour, etc).