How it works:
- Most food places are fine, it’s generally just a few bad eggs around touristy areas that spoil it for the rest.
- Version 1: giving you a tourist menu with inflated prices displayed.
- Version 2: adding dishes you did not order to your bill. If you point it out, a new bill is given. However, the service charge (15%) and luxury charge (>10%) are not adjusted.
- Version 3: swiping your card, claiming that the transaction did not go through when it did, and getting you to pay again but in cash.
- Version 4: currency switcheroo.
Places to beware:
- New Delhi
What to do:
- Choose: reputable places (use food review apps like Zomato) and avoid those promoted by touts.
- Check: menu (prices, fine print), itemized bill, and do not eat what was not ordered.
- Alternative: GetYourGuide (leading day tours platform globally) has a couple of food tours.