How it works:
- Version 1: they work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
- Version 2: over 90% of pickpockets caught on the Indian metro are females, and some are accompanied by children to look less suspicious.
- Version 3: garbage/faeces scam.
Places to beware:
- Agra: Taj Mahal, Agra Fort, Tomb of Itimad-ud-Daulah, Mehtab Bagh, Jama Masjid (Agra)
- Ahmedabad: Sabarmati Ashram / Mahatma Gandhi’s Home, Kankaria Lake
- Bengaluru: ISKCON Temple Bangalore, Cubbon Park, Lalbagh Botanical Garden, Commercial Street
- Chennai: Kapaleeshwarar Temple, Mylapore, San Thome Church, T Nagar, Ranganathan Street, Marina Beach, Pondy Bazaar, Spencer Plaza
- Gurgaon: Sheetla Mata Mandir
- Hyderabad: Charminar, Golconda Fort, Birla Mandir, Chilkur Balaji Temple, Nehru Zoological Park, Shilparamam Cultural Society, Hussain Sagar Lake
- Jaipur: Hawa Mahal – Palace of Wind, Birla Mandir Temple, City Palace of Jaipur, Monkey Temple (Galta Ji), Albert Hall Museum, Moti Dungari Temple
- Jodhpur: Sardar Market, Ghanta Ghar
- Kolkata: Dakshineswar Kali Temple, Howrah Bridge, Park Street, Eden Gardens, New Market, College, Chowringhee Street (Boi Para), Birla Planetarium, Gariahat Market, Kolkata Trams
- Mumbai: Marine Drive, Gateway of India, Shree Siddhivinayak, Mani Bhavan Gandhi Museum, Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, Nariman Point, Colaba, Mount Mary Basilica, Dhobi Ghat, Worli Sea Face, Mahalakshmi Temple, Colaba Causeway, Dharavi, Haji Ali Mosque, Babulnath Temple, Juhu Beach, Crawford Market, Malabar Hill, Chor Bazaar, Churchgate Railway Station, Sri Sri Radha Rasabihari Ji Temple
- New Delhi: Gurudwara Bangla Sahib, Swaminarayan Akshardham, Qutub Minar, Humayun’s Tomb, India Gate, Chandni Chowk, Lotus Temple, Red Fort (Lal Quila), Gurudwara Sis Ganj Sahib, Birla Mandir Temple (Lakshmi Narayan), Connaught Place, Sarojini Nagar Market, Dilli Haat, Chhatarpur Temple, Raj Ghat, Hazrat Nizamuddin Darga, Delhi Metro, Rajpath, Friday Mosque (Jama Masjid), Sai Baba Temple, Karol Bagh, Hanuman Temple / Statue, Jantar Mantar, Paharganj, Shri Kalkaji Mandir Temple
- Panjim: Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception
- Pune: Dagadusheth Halwai Ganapati Temple, Laxmi Road, Chaturshrungi Temple
- Rishikesh: Triveni Ghat, Lakshman Jhula, Ram Jhula
- Thiruvananthapuram: Thiruvananthapuram Zoo, Pazhavangadi Ganapathy Temple
- Udaipur: Srinathji Temple, Sukhadia Circle Fountain
- Varanasi: Ganges River, Banaras Ghats, Dasaswamedh Ghat, Sarnath, Manikarnika Ghat, Shri Kashi Vishwanath Temple (Golden Temple)
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft (e.g. World Nomads, trusted by Lonely Planet and National Geographic – review).