How it works:
- Opening: at religious places you will see “holy men”/Sadhus conducting ceremonies to bless anyone for a fee.
- Version 1: if you are in a group, these holy men will agree on a fee initially, only to claim later that it is for each person, not for the whole group.
- Version 2: some also try the bracelet/string scam, while others will pretend it is free at first only to demand a donation later.
- Version 3: putting a flower in your hands, ask how many family members you have, do some chants/fake prayers, then ask $15 for each member.
Places to beware:
- Pushkar: Pushkar Lake
- Varanasi: Ganges River
What to do:
- Only pay what was initially agreed upon.