How it works:
- Situation: India’s version of the classic bird poo scam. In Delhi, a scammer throws garbage or faeces at your shoes or clothes.
- Version 1: accomplices appear to help you clean up – they are actually trying to pick your pockets or distract you so another accomplice can steal your unattended bag.
- Version 2: you will be directed to an area where shoe cleaners are who will charge you an inflated fee to clean your shoes.
Places to beware:
- New Delhi: Connaught Place, Red Fort (Lal Quila)
What to do:
- Reject any help and quickly move to a safe spot. While moving, check that your valuables are still secure with you.
- Use a money belt/hidden pouch and an anti-theft bag to conceal your valuables securely.