How it works:
- Version 1: when receiving a large number of notes, a vendor/driver uses sleight of hand to drop a few notes and then ask you to top up the shortfall.
- Version 2: he can also swap a large note (e.g. 1,000 Rs) with a small note (e.g. 100 Rs).
- Version 3: in the past, before demonetization, it was common to swap a large note with a counterfeit one. They pass the counterfeit note to you and ask for a new one.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- When handing cash over, watch carefully how it is managed.
- You can even say the notes out aloud while handing them over.