How it works:
- It is alleged that India’s problem with counterfeit rupees is difficult to solve as it is not caused by criminal groups, but by organizations with interests to destabilize the economy.
- According to the Reserve Bank of India, in 2018, fake 100 rupee notes made up ~45.8% of fake notes recovered, followed by 500 rupee notes at ~26.4%.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (e.g. shops, drivers, restaurants, even ATMs)
What to do:
- Red flags:
- Thick looking watermarks
- Drawn/printed security threads and not incorporated through the notes
- Out of alignment figures
- Broken/smudged printed lines
- Thick lettering used for the “Reserve Bank of India” words