How it works:
- Version 1: you may be pulled over to pay a road fee. This is unofficial and does not have to be paid, unlike tolls which are legal.
- Version 2: you can also be accused of offences you did not commit. A fine is then issued.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (e.g. Bardez: Fort Aguada)
What to do:
- Follow all laws: e.g. wear helmet, keep to speed limit, have a driving license.
- Tactics (make yourself difficult): buy time by pretending not to understand the local language, be creative and talk nonsense back, ask for a receipt, to pay at a police station, etc.
- Negotiate: if those fail, negotiate the bribe.