How it works:
- Version 1: after you pay, the shop attendant goes to the back to pick a new set for you. They may pick an older model or even a fake one (though unlikely). Some may also take accessories out from the package and this is difficult to spot.
- Version 2: shops advertise popular products at low prices. When you enquire however, there is no stock left! Instead, a lower value replacement item is offered but at the same price.
- Version 3: items without price tags – price is quoted based on how rich you look. Or you are quoted fourteen fifty, thinking it is $14.50. $1,450 is charge on your credit card however.
Places to beware:
- Kowloon: Nathan Road – e.g. Perfect digital, 3D digital and audio, etc; Jade Market
What to do:
- Head to reputable shops. If something is too good to be true, it is.
- Always check the item especially if it’s sealed after payment. Make sure to get and check your receipt as you will need it to seek recourse.