How it works:
- Version 1: at the Cat Street market, also known as the antique marketplace, shopkeepers here claim that these are antiques from years gone by. They are actually just replicas made in China.
- Version 2: there are also plenty of fake electronics (e.g. 32GB memory sticks that don’t store any data), luxury products, perfume, jade, etc sold at street markets here.
Places to beware:
- Kowloon: Nathan Road, Cat Street Market, Temple Street Night Market, Ladies Market, Jade Market
What to do:
- If a price is too good to be true it is. If you buy, haggle hard.
- For big ticket items, buy them at reputable shops, shops with the Quality Tourism Services logo, or from big chains like Broadway or Fortress.
- There is also a list of a list of retailers registered under the government’s “No Fakes Pledge” Scheme.