How it works:
- Tour groups have been coerced by their guides to purchase a minimum amount in certain stores, else they would be kicked out of the groups.
- These guides are usually shady tour operators from China which have advertised their tours at extremely low prices to the Chinese.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Report the tour operator to the police as this is illegal. Get a legitimate tour operator instead:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Reputable operators: some reputable local names to consider include Hello! Hong Kong Tours (providing the best culturally immersive private and small group tours of Hong Kong), etc.
- Online platforms: Klook (best day tour platform in Asia) also has some classic tours (e.g. Victoria Harbour Cruise, Best of Hong Kong Island, etc).
- Paying: avoid paying in full upfront (unless reputable operator) or off the (online) platform.