How it works:
- Situation: whatever happens at some of these tourist oriented TCM clinics is all one big show.
- Opening: free foot massages are given and you see men in white lab coats posing as doctors. Some even claim to be from the China Academy of Medical Sciences.
- Set-up: they take your pulse and diagnose your "problems" explaining with common situations such as sleeping late nights which is probably true for working adults. They then try to sell you overpriced, useless/fake herbs or liquids.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Go to reputable TCM clinics, such as Tong Ren Tang, a TCM shop with centuries of history.
- However, be wary of companies claiming to be affiliated with Tong Ren Tang and copycats/fakes which exploit tourists.