How it works:
- Opening: rogue taxi drivers will drop you on the north side of the Forbidden City (the exit). Here, rickshaw drivers will offer to bring you to the South Side (the entrance).
- Set-up: the driver first quotes 3 RMB for the ride. Next, he drives you to an isolated alley claiming that your destination is just round the corner. Now, he tells you that 3 RMB is the tip, and demands 300 RMB for the fare. Another version include telling you that your hotel is closed/fully booked and offering to bring you to another place where he gets a commission.
Places to beware:
- Beijing: Summer Palace,Forbidden City, Jingshan Park, Bell and Drum Towers, Beijing Workers’ Club, Gong Wang Fu
- Suzhou: The Classical Gardens of Suzhou
What to do:
- Avoid, unless in a rush and for really short trips.
- If you do take one, make sure to have GPS so you will be able find your way back if abandoned at a secluded spot.