How it works:
- Criminals have been pasting their own QR code (easy to make) over the original ones by merchants (shops, bicycle sharing, etc). It is almost impossible to detect for most people.
- In Guangdong alone, an estimated US$13 million was lost this way.
- Version 1: these QR codes transmit trojans and viruses to capture sensitive user information.
- Version 2: these QR codes can divert payment into merchants’ accounts into theirs.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Think carefully before you scan.
- Use secure QR code readers that allow URL previews or apps that have built-in security readers which gauge websites’ safety ratings.