How it works:
- Version 1: your driver/street tout tells you that an attraction is closed and brings you to a teahouse instead.
- Version 2: your driver/street tout tells you that your hotel is full/closed and he offers to bring you another place or to a tour operator.
Places to beware:
- Beijing: Great Wall of China, Temple of Heaven, Summer Palace
- Hangzhou: Lingyin Temple
What to do:
- Check opening hours and always see for yourself if a place is really closed.
- For accommodation, only book through platforms with buyer protection rights: e.g. Booking.com (Frommer’s tests found it to have the best selection and rates).