How it works:
- They work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
Places to beware:
- Beijing: Mutianyu Great Wall, The Great Wall at Badaling, Summer Palace (Yiheyuan), Forbidden City-The Palace Museum, Temple of Heaven, Lama Temple (Yonghegong), Juyong Pass of Great Wall, Chaoyang Theater, Gate of Heavenly Peace (Tian’an Men), Tiananmen Square (Tiananmen Guangchang), Back Lakes (Hou Hai), Long Corridor at the Summer Palace, Hall of Great Harmony (Taihe Dian), Liulichang Street, Qianmen (Zhengyangmen), Dashilan, Meridian Gate (Wu Men), Gong Wang Fu, Cuandixia Village, People’s Square, Wangfujing Street, Pearl Market
- Chengdu: Jinli Pedestrian Street, Kuanzhai Alley
- Chongqing: Hongya Cave, Ciqikou
- Guangzhou: Canton Tower, Onelink International Plaza, Guangzhou Metro, Haizhu Wholesale Market, Beijing Road Ancient Avenue
- Guilin: Riyue Shuangta Cultural Park, Daxu Old Town
- Harbin: Harbin Ice and Snow World, Zhongyang Pedestrian Street, Sophia Square
- Kunming: Green Lake (Cui Hu), Nanping Business Street
- Lhasa: Barkhor Street
- Shanghai: The Bund (Wai Tan), Yu Garden (Yuyuan), Former French Concession, Oriental Pearl Tower (Dongfang Mingzhu), Huangpu River, Zhujiajiao Ancient Town, Xintiandi, Old Town (Nanshi), Jin Mao Tower, Nanjing Lu (Nanjing Road), Riverside Promenade (Bingjiang Da Dao), Bund International Architecture Exhibition, Yuyuan Old Street, Shanghai Temple Of the Town God (Chenghung Miao), Zhongshan Road, Qibao Town
- Shenzhen: Shenzhen Window of the World
- Urumqi: Grand Bazzar
- Wuhan: Walking Street of Jianghan Road, Hubu Alley, Yellow Crane Tower
- Xiamen: Zhongshan Road Walking Street, Zeng Cuo An Village
- Xi’an: The Museum of Qin Terra-cotta Warriors and Horses, Xi’an City Wall (Chengqiang), Muslim Quarter, Big Wild Goose Pagoda (Dayanta), Shaanxi History Museum, Xi’an Bell Tower, Dayan Pagoda Northern Square
- Yangshuo: West Street, Yangshuo Park
- Zhangjiajie: Zhangjiajie National Forest Park, Golden Whip Brook
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.