How it works:
- Version 1: on the pavement, a Chinese calligrapher asks for your name and writes it down on a scroll. An inflated fee is then asked.
- Version 2: a Chinese calligrapher offers a free piece or poem. If you agree, he starts writing immediately and then claims that there is a (inflated) charge for the scroll.
Places to beware:
- Beijing: Summer Palace, Forbidden City
- Shanghai: Jade Buddha Temple
- Shenzhen: Shenzhen Window of the World
What to do:
- Nothing is free. Make sure to negotiate a price first and that there are no hidden fees.