How it works:
- Opening: boat scammers who will offer you a low price to take their boats.
- Version 1: once on board, anything can be charged. For instance, you can be charged another fee just for alighting!
- Version 2: you agree on a one hour trip but which really only last 30 minutes in reality.
- Version 3: it can also be part of a tour package where you end up on a shopping tour instead of spending time at your intended destinations – check out cheap, low quality tours in China.
Places to beware:
- Guangzhou: Pearl River (Zhujiang)
- Hangzhou: West Lake (Xi Hu)
What to do:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: Klook (best day tour platform in Asia) has some Pearl River tours.