How it works:
- The correct route to Badaling is to take metro line 2 to Jishuitan, followed by taking buses 877, 919 or 880 at the bus stop at Deshengmen Arrow Tower via exit A.
- Version 1:
- Fake bus stops (signboard/sticker showing certain bus numbers) have been set up at Jishuitan station.
- Over time, the number of tourists increases over time as there are no buses. This attracts other tourists who think this is the correct stop upon seeing so many tourists.
- As the tourists get frustrated, taxi drivers will claim that the bus will not come in another hour and pressure you to take or share taxis with others.
- Version 2:
Places to beware:
- Beijing: Jishuitan station
What to do:
- Do not listen to touts/overly friendly locals. Else, you can also consider using a tour operator:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Reputable operators: some reputable local names to consider include Great Wall Hiking (adventure specialist at less-visited sections of the Great Wall), etc.
- Online platforms: Klook (best day tour platform in Asia) has some tours to Badaling.