How it works:
- Opening: similar to the batik scam in Indonesia, “art students” will approach and invite you to check out some Chinese art at their studio. Some may claim to be dealers in rare Chinese antiques, and others may claim that this is the last day of their school’s exhibition.
- Set-up: there, they will use hard sell tactics to make you buy one of their cheap, mass produced paintings at an inflated price.
Places to beware:
- Beijing: Forbidden City, Bell and Drum Towers, Wangfujing Street
- Shanghai: The Bund, Yu Garden
What to do:
- If you want to buy art, head to reputable shops or normal street markets.