How it works:
- Scam 1: unsolicited massage ladies will rub your legs, claiming that it is only $5. If you allow them, they will add on services which will lead to an inflated bill at the end.
- Scam 2: “Beach tour companies” which provide low quality tours – e.g. Shorter time than advertised, no equipment provided, overcrowded, poorly maintained boats, etc.
- Scam 3: typical bar scams such as overpriced drinks, returning wrong change, and possibly drink spiking.
Places to beware:
- Sihanoukville: Otres Beach, Serendipity Beach, Ochheuteal Beach
What to do:
- Decline unsolicited services and get a proper tour operator instead:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: Klook (best day tours platform in Asia) also has many popular tours (e.g. Bago, Yangon, Bagan, etc).