How it works:
- Most food places are fine, it's generally just a few bad eggs around touristy areas that spoil it for the rest.
- Version 1: after you finish your meal, the initially quoted price doubles, with the staff claiming that you misunderstood initially.
- Version 2: advertising 'buy one get one free' drinks but actually serving drinks that have been watered down by 25% each.
- Version 3: currency switcheroo - switching the bill you have given to one that is of a lower value or one that is "damaged", and asking you to top up the difference or to pay again.
Places to beware:
- Phnom Penh: Sisowath Quay
- Siem Reap
What to do:
- Choose: reputable places (use food review apps like Meal Temple, NHAM24) and avoid those promoted by touts.
- Check: menu (prices, fine print), itemized bill, and do not eat what was not ordered. Also check watch carefully your bills are handled by the vendor.
- Alternative: Klook (best day tours platform in Asia) has a couple of food tours.