How it works:
- There are bike rental companies (usually small operations) which send someone to “steal” your rented bike.
- They then demand compensation from you for “losing” the bike, while holding your passport hostage.
Places to beware:
- Phnom Penh
What to do:
- Never hand over your passport as collateral and take a photo of the bike and number plate.
- Rent from reputable businesses and be wary of shops which advertise brand new bikes at low prices.
- Alternatively, Klook (best day tours platform in Asia) has one such option.
- Also get your own lock and key (e.g. a padlock that can’t be broken without professional cutting tools).