How it works:
- Version 1: while queuing to get a a visa, scammers posing as officials offer to help you get one for an inflated fee so that you don’t have to wait.
- Version 2: scammers posing as officials claim that you need certain immunization certificates which you probably won’t have and don’t need. They offer to facilitate the process for a fee.
Places to beware:
- Poipet: Cambodia – Thailand border crossing
What to do:
- Only deal with the actual officials at the counter.
- To fend off fake officials, just say you already have a visa and are just waiting to get your passport stamped.