How it works:
- There are corrupt traffic police officers who will accuse you of common traffic offences such as speeding or not signaling and then ask for a fine on the spot.
Places to beware:
- Phnom Penh
- Sihanoukville: Golden Lion Roundabout
What to do:
- Follow all laws: e.g. wear helmet, keep to speed limit, have a driving license.
- Tactics (make yourself difficult): buy time by pretending not to understand the local language, be creative and talk nonsense back, ask for a receipt, to pay at a police station, etc.
- Negotiate: if those fail, negotiate the bribe.