How it works:
- Part 1: after crossing the border from Thailand, touts will tell you to take the official bus as they claim that all other transport is illegal. You will be taken to the tourist bus station and put on an expensive bus.
- Part 2: this bus will not bring you to your destination. Instead, it will stop in front of a travel agency with many tuk-tuks around. This agency peddles overpriced tours and to leave, you have to take one of the tuk-tuks which will charge exorbitant prices.
Places to beware:
- Poipet: Cambodia - Thailand border crossing
What to do:
- Head down the street (~100 yards) to get a taxi instead and bargain hard.
- However, some may still send you to a tuk-tuk instead of to your destination. They may claim that they do not know the way or claim that cars are not allowed in town.