How it works:
- Set-up: a tuk-tuk driver proposes a cheap fee to bring you on a sunrise tour to Angkor Watt. On the day, he brings you to the park entrance, but stops and demands an inflated fee.
- Situation: this is very effective as the entrance is 5km from the park, there are no spare tuk-tuks around and you are in a rush to catch the sunrise.
Places to beware:
- Siem Reap: Angkor Wat
What to do:
- If a price is too good to be true, it is. Engage legitimate operators:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: Klook (best day tours platform in Asia) has some popular Angkor Watt tours.
- Paying: avoid paying in full upfront (unless reputable operator) or off the (online) platform.