How it works:
- Over the years, the government has cracked down hard on illegal drivers. However, you may still encounter some at the airport, tourist attractions, hotels or malls.
- These illegal taxis are generally driven by foreigners/other Asian workers. Some may overcharge you while some may offer a lower price compared to licensed taxis to tempt you.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Situation: some may be fine and are even cheaper, but you have to accept the risks (overcharging, no insurance coverage, beaten down car, potentially being robbed).
- Photo: if you engage, take a photo of the car plate and the driver’s license.
- Official taxis: hey are yellow or black in color, with a taxi sign and a working meter.
- Alternatives: use taxi booking apps (e.g. Uber, Careem, Taxi Bahrain).