How it works:
- Two versions: strike and run; distract and grab. Possible scenarios:
- Car/taxi: smashing your window and snatching your valuables at traffic lights or in crowded traffic.
- ATM: snatching after cash is dispensed from the machine.
- Residence: “attacking” immediately once you reach your residence.
- Restaurant: stealing unattended bags/valuables on the chair or table.
- Street, mall, shop, park, transportation hub: distracting and snatching from you, then escaping via a getaway car or down a street corner.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (hotspots – e.g. downtown Harare, route to Harare Airport, Masvingo-Beitbridge)
- Check out other hotspots of violent crime
What to do:
- Valuables: avoid laying out on tables or carrying in your hands while walking.
- Bags: consider using lockable bags that can be locked to another object and cross body anti-theft bags (difficult to snatch).
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.