How it works:
- At a traffic checkpoint, you are accused of a traffic offence which you did not commit (e.g. speeding).
- A fine to be paid on the spot is then demanded.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (e.g. tourist frequented routes, routes to the airport)
What to do:
- Follow all laws: e.g. wear helmet, keep to speed limit, have a driving license.
- Tactics (make yourself difficult): buy time by pretending not to understand the local language, be creative and talk nonsense back, ask for a receipt, to pay at a police station, etc.
- Negotiate: if those fail, negotiate the bribe.