How it works:
- Version 1: throwing a hard object (e.g. stone) at your car to shock you and get you to come out. Once you step out, you will be robbed and your car will be stolen.
- Version 2: pretending to get into an accident with your car and signaling you to stop.
- Version 3: posing as passengers who need a lift or as accident victims who need a lift.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Stop: a distance away and if there are really any problems with your car, call your rental company for advice.
- Valuables: use a cheap spare wallet with some cash inside which you can give up if threatened.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.