How it works:
- Version 1 (unofficial guide): there are many unofficial guides around who will offer to bring you around for inflated sums (e.g. USD 80).
- Version 2 (taxi): taxis here will exploit the situation as well and quote crazy sums – e.g. 5x the fair price.
- Version 3 (sellers): they are generally fine, though may quote you an inflated price as well for the items they sell.
Places to beware:
- Livingstone: Victoria Falls
What to do:
- There may be good unofficial guides but in general, they are not trained for it. If you need a guide, get a licensed and reputable one instead.
- For taxis, research a fair price to negotiate with – check online fare estimators, your hotel/hostel staff or taxi booking apps (e.g. Ulendo). For longer trips, consider pre-arranging transport with a reliable company/driver.
- As for any items that you would like to buy, always bargain first. Even if you overpay, it won’t be much.